Tuesday, May 16, 2006

So how did everyone out there fair on Mother's Day? Was it tougher than you thought? Easier? Just what you expected? For me it was my worst one yet, but still, not too bad! ;) I woke up genuinely grateful to be a mother to such a beautiful little girl and also feeling incredibly blessed to have possibly one of the best mothers and a pretty darn good mother in law too. I realized that in the whole scope of things I have an awful lot to be thankful for. While grateful for all I have, I could help but feel a deep ache over not being 7 months pregnant and celebrating my first Mother's Day as a mom of 2. Because of my new awareness with all things Infertile I was also acutely aware of what a painful day it was for so many people. Sure it's a commericalized holiday, but none-the-less, it's a day that everyone celebrates mothers and I think we sometimes forget that there are many people who a day such as this brings with it a very painful reminder of what they don't have. There are those that don't have a mom, those who want desperately to be one, those who are moms to a child who has died or is not in communication with their family and like a friend we had dinner with on Sunday night, there are those who made the selfless decision to give their child up for adoption. I think it's wonderful that we celebrate this gift called "motherhood", but I think it's also important not to forget those who are hurting on such a day.

Church was awesome, but also left me with a heavy heart for most of the reasons I already mentioned. Our pastors wife spoke and she did an incredible job. I'm always so blessed when she shares her heart and know that on Sunday many lives were touched by her words.

The rest of the day was spent doing yardwork and playing Softball (Hubby and I are on one of our churches softball teams). We managed to secure our 2nd victory (2 & 2) which was exciting and then enjoyed a tasty dinner (they have some of the best chicken wings I have ever had) at a local sports bar/grill with most of our team mates.

All in all, I can't complain, but it was a new experience to have a heavy heart on a day that up until now was filled with nothing but happiness for me.

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all the moms out there and for those who are waiting to be called "mom", here's to this year being your very last Mother's Day without a child in your arms...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web stats